Discover why membership of the DHO would be a great idea!
The DHO is one of the oldest and most prestigious ski clubs in the world. Formed by a group of friends in 1925, it took the name “Downhill Only” from Wengen’s advantage of the cog railway to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch. In the days before ski-lifts, the DHO would take the train up and ski down to the villages of Wengen and Grindelwald. The club would ski together and, in the early days of racing, also developed an enviable ski racing heritage.
A similar ethos prevails today. The club ski enjoys skiing around Wengen and the Jungfrau Ski region, with led ski groups most days of the ski season. It also races, with weekly ski races, representation in the Inferno, AICC and runs an renowned racing and training operation, DHO Racing. It also runs the British Schoolboys’ Races.
Membership benefits include
- Access to daily led ski groups around the Jungfrau region and weekly races
- Access for children to Coggins and Eagles – tailored, sociable and fun skiing for children from 6 years up during school holidays
- Opportunities to race – including the infamous Inferno, the AICC races, Race Training for children and others, representing one of the most prestigious ski clubs
- Weekly Club races during the season, including the McMillan mass start race, once of very few such races still in existence
- Access to the DHO clubroom for evening drinks and other facilities
- Access to Events – the DHO runs events throughout the year, both in the Alps and the UK, during the ski season and during the summer months
- Discounts for services and goods negotiated specially for DHO members
- Annual Journal and mid-year Newsletter
- Supporting and encouraging young professional ski racers. The club is always keen to encourage and support ski racers and ski racing with its resources and heritage.
The old-fashioned entry criteria are mercifully a long-distant memory and today the club has an open and welcoming attitude to new members. The club is sociable and fun, with a love of skiing at its core, although non-skiers are welcome to join too. The mainstay of our members are British, but increasingly we attract from all over the world, with a large number from Switzerland, elsewhere in Europe, North America and as far away as Australia. Membership is around 1,200 individuals, with an age range of 5 to 95! We have couple and family membership discounts and reduced rates for younger skiers.
Payable annually by direct debit
Ordinary membership = £90
Ordinary member under 36 = £45
Family with children under 24 = £180
Couple over 18 years = £158
Couple both over 18 years but under 36 = £79
Junior (under 24) = £22
Introductory = £22
Racing = £22
In Wengen, contact Andrew Davies, Wengen Manager during the ski season. He can be found at the DHO club in the Eiger, open from 18.00 to 19.00 local time every evening except Saturdays.
The Downhill Only Club, DHO Office, CH 3823 Wengen, Switzerland Telephone:(from Wengen) 0338 55 13 75 (from outside Switzerland) +41 338 55 13 75 If phoning from UK/other there may be a time difference.
Those wishing to join the club while away from Wengen are invited to fill in the membership application form and post it to the Membership Secretary Sarah Hirst-Malin (the address is on the form). If you need any further information Sarah can be contacted here